Sunday 5 August 2012

I'm still amazed Beckham was left out of the Olympic squad, says Mourinho


I'm still amazed Beckham was left out of the Olympic squad, says Mourinho

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has expressed his bemusement at Stuart Pearce's decision to leave former England captain David Beckham out of his 18-man Team GB squad.
Beckham, 36, played a pivotal role in bringing the Games to London back in 2005 and was expected to be named as one of three eligible over-23 players for the tournament. 
But the LA Galaxy star was overlooked in favour of Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Micah Richards as Pearce's squad were knocked out at the quarter-final stage by South Korea. 
Missing out: Beckham (right) shares a joke with Real Madrid's Kaka during a friendly this week
Missing out: Beckham (right) shares a joke with Real Madrid's Kaka during a friendly this week
'There is something I don’t understand,' said Mourinho, who was talking after his Real side beat LA Galaxy 5-1 in a pre-season friendly in California.
'If now the Olympic Games are in London, it is because of Beckham. I know, because I was also inside of that project.
'It’s because of Sebastian Coe and other people, but he was the most important face of that project. I don’t understand why he is not playing. I cannot understand.
'In a group of 18 players you have football qualities to give and human qualities to give. He is one of the best football professionals. I’m so sorry he’s not there.'
Down and out: Stuart Pearce's side were beaten on penalties by South Korea
Down and out: Stuart Pearce's side were beaten on penalties by South Korea
The former Chelsea manager added: 'Beckham is always very nice to me. He has always very good words for me.
'I’m so sorry I could never be his coach, because I would love it.
'Now it is too late because David is in the last years of his career.'
Mourinho makes no attempt to hide his admiration for Beckham - and the feeling is reciprocated.
'Jose is an exceptional manager and an amazing human being as well,' said Beckham.
Admiration: Mourinho spoke highly of Beckham
Admiration: Mourinho spoke highly of Beckham
'He was one of the first people to call me after I ruptured my Achilles. He kept in touch with me. It makes him a great human being.
'What he does for teams and what he does for players, individuals, is very special.
'There are not many managers who can do that. He’s a very special person and manager. What he has achieved in his career, his very short career, is amazing.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget